Are you considering a career in interior decorating or running your own interior decorating business? If you’re anything like us, then delving into some interior decorating statistics is always interesting – especially when you are just starting in this industry!
Whatever your interest in interior decorating may be, understanding the latest industry statistics can teach you a lot about what clients want, and where to take your business.
From market size and growth to consumer preferences and design trends, interior decorating statistics provide valuable insights into the industry and help you make more informed business decisions.
In this quick guide, we will explore 10 interior decorating statistics that every interior decorator should know…
Our Top 10 Interior Decorating Statistics
Below are the top ten interior decorating-related statistics that we found to be of interest. If you know of any other statistics or have done your own market research, please let us know and we can add them here for other decorators to learn from!
- The global interior design market is expected to reach $261.6 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 4.9% from 2020 to 2027. (Source: Allied Market Research)
- In the US, the interior design industry is worth $16.5 billion and is expected to grow at a rate of 4.3% from 2021 to 2026. (Source: IBISWorld)
- According to a survey by Houzz, the top reason for homeowners to undertake a home renovation project is to improve the design and functionality of their homes (80% of respondents). (Source: Houzz)
- The average cost for an interior designer in the US is $5,411, with most homeowners spending between $1,893 and $10,098. (Source: HomeAdvisor)
- Color is a key factor in interior design, with 62% of homeowners stating that color influences their purchasing decisions when buying home décor items. (Source: Sherwin-Williams)
- The most popular design styles in the US are traditional (22%), modern (15%), and farmhouse/rustic (14%). (Source: HomeAdvisor)
- In the UK, the interior design industry generates over £8 billion in revenue and employs over 70,000 people. (Source: Design Council)
- According to a survey by the National Association of Home Builders, the most popular rooms for remodeling in the US are bathrooms (81%) and kitchens (79%). (Source: NAHB)
- The global smart home market is expected to reach $158 billion by 2024, with smart home devices such as smart thermostats, lighting, and security systems becoming increasingly popular in interior design. (Source: Zion Market Research)
- According to a survey by the American Society of Interior Designers, 91% of interior designers believe that good design can improve a person’s quality of life. (Source: ASID)
The benefits of statistics
Statistics help interior decorators know what services to offer, how much to charge, and what their clients want.
Further down this article we take a look at 10 statistics every interior decorator needs to know, but let’s first look at 10 reasons why statistics are important for any interior decorating professional:
- Understanding the size and growth of the interior design industry can help interior decorators assess market demand and identify opportunities for growth.
- Knowing the reasons why homeowners undertake renovation projects can help interior decorators tailor their services to meet the needs of their clients and promote the value of their services.
- Familiarizing themselves with the average cost of an interior designer can help interior decorators set their prices competitively and ensure they are charging fair rates for their services.
- Being aware of the importance of color in interior design can help interior decorators make informed decisions when selecting color schemes and advising their clients on color choices.
- Knowing the most popular design styles can help interior decorators stay up-to-date with current trends and preferences among homeowners.
- Understanding the revenue and employment figures of the interior design industry in their region can help interior decorators assess the competitiveness of their market and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Knowing the most popular rooms for remodeling can help interior decorators tailor their services and expertise to these areas, and provide specialized services to their clients.
- Keeping up-to-date with smart home technology trends can help interior decorators incorporate these devices into their designs and promote themselves as experts in this field.
- Understanding the positive impact of good design on a person’s quality of life can help interior decorators promote the value of their services to potential clients.
- Staying informed about industry statistics and trends can help interior decorators identify opportunities for professional development and networking, and make informed business decisions.
- Allied Market Research – https://www.alliedmarketresearch.com
- IBISWorld – https://www.ibisworld.com
- Houzz – https://www.houzz.com/
- HomeAdvisor – https://www.homeadvisor.com/
- Sherwin-Williams – https://www.sherwin-williams.com
- HomeAdvisor – https://www.homeadvisor.com
- Design Council – https://www.designcouncil.org.uk
- National Association of Home Builders – https://www.nahb.org
- Zion Market Research – https://www.zionmarketresearch.com
- American Society of Interior Designers – https://www.asid.org